View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
2021 August Long Weekend (Changed Please Read!) 

Post 2021 August Long Weekend (Changed Please Read!)
Hello,

The plan for the August Long Weekend must be changed due to wildfire activity which has had a devastating effect with smoke, evacuation orders, burn down of villages and towns, road closures, and park closures.

The current plan is to meet at Gun Creek Campsite (https://goo.gl/maps/ArrmHCmqVo1ia5HX7) on the edge of Carpenter Lake on Saturday morning, there are trails that have and have not been explored in the area. Please note that Bridge River Valley past Downton Lake is closed due to active forestry. The best route to take to get to the Gun Creek Camp Site is: https://goo.gl/maps/HJAQqHHpXRmSG3cTA ... and please note that there is an alternate route: https://goo.gl/maps/3RBAm4DRUhXiwEvL9 ... However this route has wildfire activity and may suffer road closures.

For resources regarding trip planning and environmental conditions please see the resources provided at: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3306

Please indicate if you are coming out as myself and a few others may be heading up to Gun Creek before the long weekend and can grab camp sites in advance.

---------Trip Report---------
Met with caesarspalace and Filip in Coquitlam and headed for Pemberton. In Pemberton fueled up and got some last-minute supplies and headed up Hurley FSR to Gun Creek Campsite. Arrived at Gun Creek Campsite and met up with Clayton, Red Rock and 4runner1. Saturday et out for Green Mountain, followed by visiting the ghost town of Pioneer. After the ghost town of Pioneer, Filip and I headed off for more exploration, while everyone else headed back to Gun Creek Campsite. We all met at Gun Creek Campsite and had dinner and talked till it was time for sleep. Sunday, we started down Hurley FSR to Pemberton, then on to Mount Currie, and up to D’Arcy. Aired down and headed to Seaton Portage on Anderson Lake Road. We headed over the Mission saddle and down to Terzaghi Dam, where we aired up and took Carpenter Lake Road back to Gun Creek Campsite. Monday we headed home.
---------Trip Report---------

---------Original Text---------
Planning for August long weekend: Head to Copper Creek and set up base camp on Saturday 31 July between the hours of 10am and 1pm. Will be suitable for anyone that wants to bring a trailer. Two separate runs, with the first one on Saturday (31st July run to start at no later than 1pm) for Placer Mountain/Ashnola Traverse, and for Sunday (1st August run to start no later than 10am) to traverse Whipsaw trail from Crowsnest Highway to Tulameen FSR. Break Camp and head home on Monday (2nd August). This plan is contingent on wildfire activity. Please indicate if you are interested. Please check back with this post to see any updates to the plan.
---------Original Text---------

33s, Rear Locker, and Winch are recommended.

Wishing you a great day,

Bob

2010 JK Sahara - Modified
[O|||||||O]
Amateur Radio - VE7 DGN

Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:04 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: 2021 August Long Weekend
I am interested

RIP FJ Cruiser
<O===O>

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:06 pm

Assuming the Jeep is fixed, I plan to be there. I have to work on the Friday but I will head up after work.

The Xterra is gone, and Red Rock is ready.

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:49 am

I am likely attending this trip. I will be leaving July 30 Friday late morning. If I am first one up, I will find a spot bigg enough for us all. shouldn't be a problem as there is open areas for camping up there.

"I don't care about time or money but I'm overworked and underpaid." John Mellencamp, 2014

"Isn't it amazing what you can accomplish, When you don't let the nation get in your way" Gord Downie, 1998. RIP.

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:56 pm
Profile WWW

Hello everyone,

If possible I would like to attend the run.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:04 am

You are welcome to join us!

RIP FJ Cruiser
<O===O>

Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:32 am

Would like to attend the run if the group is okay with it.

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:48 pm

You are welcome to join us. Please keep an eye on this post as important details may change due to the wildfires (such as where we will camp and which runs we will do).

RIP FJ Cruiser
<O===O>

Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:05 pm

Where is the intended base camp planned for?

Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:21 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: 2021 August Long Weekend (Changed Please Read!)
I'm going to Gun Creek on Friday. Anyone else coming up that day?

RIP FJ Cruiser
<O===O>

Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:08 am

I'll be heading up on Friday as well.

[O|||||||O]
Amateur Radio - VE7 DGN

Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:57 am
Profile WWW

Hello everybody,

I'm still looking at heading out with the group. Not sure if I will be headed out on Friday after work or on Saturday morning. According to Google Maps looks like a 9.5 to 10.5 hour drive from Chilliwack area. Not sure if this is accurate though.

Anyone else heading up from the Fraser Valley as I may look to coordinate if possible?

Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:06 pm

Filip wrote:
I'm going to Gun Creek on Friday. Anyone else coming up that day?

I'll be leaving mid morning Friday

"I don't care about time or money but I'm overworked and underpaid." John Mellencamp, 2014

"Isn't it amazing what you can accomplish, When you don't let the nation get in your way" Gord Downie, 1998. RIP.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:34 pm
Profile WWW

4runner1 wrote:

Hello everybody,

I'm still looking at heading out with the group. Not sure if I will be headed out on Friday after work or on Saturday morning. According to Google Maps looks like a 9.5 to 10.5 hour drive from Chilliwack area. Not sure if this is accurate though.

Anyone else heading up from the Fraser Valley as I may look to coordinate if possible?

Hi 4runner1,

The google time estimates are not correct for anything that involves off road. Estimates from Abbotsford to Pemberton at highway speed limit is approximately 3 hours, and from Pemberton to Gun creek on Hurley at 30Km/H is no more than 2 hours. I live in Burnaby and when leaving early in the morning to avoid traffic, I can be in Goldbridge in 4 hours.

Best regards,

Bob

[O|||||||O]
Amateur Radio - VE7 DGN

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:32 am
Profile WWW

Thanks! Will be heading out on Friday. Booked a few hours off of work and should be leaving the Fraser valley between 1:00 and 2:00pm.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:47 pm

I was hoping to make this one, but work things came-up. Have a good run everyone.

Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:18 pm

Thanks for letting us know

RIP FJ Cruiser
<O===O>

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:58 pm

A little delayed but we are on our way ( Friday night arrival). Cheers

Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:25 pm

Post Re: 2021 August Long Weekend - Trip Report
Met with caesarspalace and Filip in Coquitlam and headed for Pemberton. In Pemberton fueled up and got some last-minute supplies and headed up Hurley FSR to Gun Creek Campsite. Arrived at Gun Creek Campsite and met up with Clayton, Red Rock and 4runner1. Saturday et out for Green Mountain, followed by visiting the ghost town of Pioneer. After the ghost town of Pioneer, Filip and I headed off for more exploration, while everyone else headed back to Gun Creek Campsite. We all met at Gun Creek Campsite and had dinner and talked till it was time for sleep. Sunday, we started down Hurley FSR to Pemberton, then on to Mount Currie, and up to D’Arcy. Aired down and headed to Seaton Portage on Anderson Lake Road. We headed over the Mission saddle and down to Terzaghi Dam, where we aired up and took Carpenter Lake Road back to Gun Creek Campsite. Monday we headed home.

[O|||||||O]
Amateur Radio - VE7 DGN

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]