View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
New Jeep possibilities 

Post New Jeep possibilities
I am looking to replace my family vehicle, and have been really thinking about getting a 4xe Unlimited Rubicon. Haven't actually tested one, but have read and viewed all manner of on-line reviews, and while it's a little on the expensive side for what it is (MSRP in excess of $70,000), it seems to be an attractively appointed vehicle. Lots of stuff to "go wrong", but that seems to be the case with many new vehicles these days. Not going to be selling the LJ, so the new Jeep wouldn't see much in the way of any real off-road travel.

Are there any other vehicles I should consider looking at for a daily driver that does family duty, including child/dog in the rear seats? Talia will be getting her license in under two years, so have no need for 7 seat vehicle (4 is enough).

I was looking at the new Defender 110, but I don't think it will ever be approved for the HOV lane to get me through the tunnel faster (northbound in the morning from Tsawwassen). Also considered a hybrid Volvo XC-60 to replace the current XC-60, but it is a bit blahhh in terms of exterior design. I do like to have the family vehicle reasonably well-appointed, with an excellent factory sound system - and because it goes into the interior, I appreciate something that even when loaded, will be able to pass a semi on a two-lane highway without having to sweat. While I like to have towing ability for a light trailer/boat, I won't ever be towing anything more than 2,500 lbs. Current Volvo has 330 hp, and can pass slower vehicles with relative ease.

Not thrilled with the looks of the Forerunner. SUV's are starting, more and more, to look like mini-vans - not that mini-vans don't have a place for some families. Don't want anything that's "all electric" due to the long distance travel that I sometime do, in addition to winter travel through interior mountain passes, so no to Tesla X.

As many of you know, I've still got the 993 for summer highway duty, in addition to the LJ - so I've got "fast" and "slow" well-covered. It's the family vehicle that needs to be updated.

It will be a commuter, and the parking garage at work has 6' 10" clearance, with reasonably sized parking spaces - the Volvo is a particularly wide vehicle because of the straight-six transaxle mounted motor, so I'm used to "width".

Looked at the new Bronco, but they look like 'baby' Bronco's to me. Couldn't get over how small they are.

Really would like a hybrid that will meet governmental standards to allow me to use the HOV lanes.

Any thoughts appreciated....

Sat May 01, 2021 5:09 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: New Jeep possibilities
You may want to consider the Sahara version, rather than the Rubi, if it's not going to see much dirt. Your reasoning for the 4XE Unlimited does make a lot of sense.

It looks like up to $8,000 incentive from Jeep Canada on the plug-in hybrid as well.

"I don't care about time or money but I'm overworked and underpaid." John Mellencamp, 2014

"Isn't it amazing what you can accomplish, When you don't let the nation get in your way" Gord Downie, 1998. RIP.

Sat May 01, 2021 5:32 pm
Profile WWW

The 4XE is slow. It will be slower than your LJ. Especially after your old xc60.

Sat May 01, 2021 9:29 pm
Profile WWW

For the money, your most reliable wrangler will be a Rubicon 392

Otherwise check out the new Bronco. It will make the other similar priced options feel slow

2005 TJ Unlimited... it no longer hums at 90+kmh

I live in Ladner. I own an armoured vehicle. Draw your own conclusions.

Sun May 02, 2021 5:18 pm

If you saw the Bronco at a dealer, it is a Sport. Yes, they are small, think cherokee/patriot size. The real Broncos are due in a little bit. the real ones are bigger than the sport. Very similar to the Wrangler size. But there is a wait for one unless you get lucky with a dealer playing some tom foolery

2005 TJ Unlimited... it no longer hums at 90+kmh

I live in Ladner. I own an armoured vehicle. Draw your own conclusions.

Mon May 03, 2021 8:13 am

Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Very nice interior roomy and peppy. Better fuel numbers than the Jeep and Bronco. They also have some nice colors.

Mon May 03, 2021 8:45 am
Profile WWW

A buddy of mine just bought a 4xe and his words were "holy crap this thing is fast" now take in mind he drives a Harley.

Mon May 03, 2021 9:38 am

ynotrusty wrote:
now take in mind he drives a Harley.

:surprised:

Tue May 04, 2021 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]