View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Towing Capacity 

Post Towing Capacity
Looking for a trailer, went to Travelland to look at a few, but the guy said since I changed my gear ratio my towing is lower now. Is that true?

Are there ways to increase my towing capacity?

who do I contact to rectify my towing capacity, since I tow more then my GVWR then i am not covered by insurance.

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:24 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Towing Capacity
Hint # 1

DON'T tell the sales person you altered your gear ratio or put bigger tires on your Jeep, you'll just end up confusing them. Sales people are often not technically knowledgeable.

If you have a Rubi with a D44 front axel, and it's a 4-door, it has a 3500 LB towing capacity.

If you have altered your gear ratio (lower ratio - higher numerically) to compensate for bigger tires, then it stays the same.

Plus you have upgraded your brakes, so you'll be fine.

Hint # 2

GVWR and towing capacity are two different things.

"I don't care about time or money but I'm overworked and underpaid." John Mellencamp, 2014

"Isn't it amazing what you can accomplish, When you don't let the nation get in your way" Gord Downie, 1998. RIP.

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:50 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Towing Capacity
Hi Jessie,

I have been looking into trailers for a while as well. Ron is correct with his hints. The JKU is rated for 3500 lbs towing capacity. I would not want to tow near the towing capacity, but rather stay under it. The trailers are rated "dry", which means that once you fill the clean water tanks, grey and black holding tanks, and various gear you will stow the trailer will weigh more. Many websites recommend adding the weight of the water in the tanks and add another 500 lbs for gear. A tank of 10 gallon US weighs about 84 lbs. So the trailer you would want to get is probably closer to 2000 to 2500 lbs. Then you will have to consider the tongue weight. It is usually 10-15% of the trailer weight plus water and gear. You will have to add this to the weight you are carrying in the car, people, upgrades, gear, etc. So if your jeep can carry about 1200 lbs (check your particular vehicle, it may be on the sticker by the door), and are towing a trailer of about 3000 lbs, you should consider 300 to 450 lbs of tongue weight, and you are left with 750 to 900 lbs for the other stuff. Subtract the weight of your upgrades and the people (and dogs) you are carrying, and then you know how much is left for gear. Then there is other stuff to consider, such as electrical brakes and a transmission cooler. I'd recommend to talk to the guys who are towing for additional info. I am towing a trailer that is just 1200 lbs so I don't have to worry too much about that extra stuff. I don't have trailer brakes and my Jeep has (and my FJ had) the factory towing package. I hope this helps.

For light weight trailers, check out getawayrv. They are in Abbotsford and carry several lines of light weight trailers that others don't. There are a lot of RV dealers in Abbotsford. Depending on your budget and type of trailer you want to get, there are quite a few options.

RIP FJ Cruiser
<O===O>

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]