View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Looking for a HAM Radio - info 

Post Re: Ham ???
Regger wrote:
Yeah, I seem to remember both of you riding shotgun on the halloween trip... so it looks like I win in this argument..LOL

yeah but when was the last time you wheeled your own vehicle i at least took my 4runner on a maintenance run this summer

Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW

brbo wrote:
Hey I never said anything about you...
Sorry Brian.. I think Robs response to your quote sound like you both you bugging me..

zedjay95 wrote:
yeah but when was the last time you wheeled your own vehicle i at least took my 4runner on a maintenance run this summer

And Rob, So you think the Jimmy cannot be considered mine when its my axles I put under it and all my hard work to get it and keep it running???.. You can only talk to me about about not wheeling my own truck when you have two wheeling rigs your working on and three daily drivers to maintain...

Sorry Brian M. for Rob hijacking your post about my jeep... (just getting a little frustrated with everyone bugging me about my jeep not running when I'm trying to keep and maintain 4 other vehicles...)

Ryan

Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:10 am

Regger wrote:
Sorry Brian.. I think Robs response to your quote sound like you both you bugging me..

And Rob, So you think the Jimmy cannot be considered mine when its my axles I put under it and all my hard work to get it and keep it running???.. You can only talk to me about about not wheeling my own truck when you have two wheeling rigs your working on and three daily drivers to maintain...

Sorry Brian M. for Rob hijacking your post about my jeep... (just getting a little frustrated with everyone bugging me about my jeep not running when I'm trying to keep and maintain 4 other vehicles...)

Ryan

Ryan relax I know it's hard to read humor on the net but It's just a light jab I know how hard it is to work on a project. now hurry up and finish it!

Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:44 am
Profile YIM WWW
Quote:
And Rob, So you think the Jimmy cannot be considered mine when its my axles I put under it and all my hard work to get it and keep it running???..

Ryan... there is no such thing as 'mine' just 'HERS and Ours'!!!
:luvbed:

lets get 'er dun :crucified:... i think you are beating me and 'Our YJ5 project'... right Garnold?!?!? :footy:

anyway, this is a Ham post... so TM-D710eh alltheway!!!
:dance:

Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Well ended up going with the TM-D710 kinda through the budget out the window. Though its part my christmas present now so I have to wait until christmas to put it in the truck. Should give me some time to decide on where to mount it. Now I have to figure out how the hell to use it cause I dont know the first thing about them...

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
oh man!....
good on ya... but i am getting more jealous :(

where'd ya buy it?

cash jobs... i need cash jobs... this way i keep it under Mrs Radar :footy:

ah, she nevers reads this forum anyhow...

:cool2:

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:46 pm

I have the programming cable if you want to borrow it. I think Kenwood wants about $30 for it.

If you have any questions about setting up the radio or using APRS, let me know.

The Xterra is gone, and Red Rock is ready.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:50 pm

Xterra 4ever wrote:
I have the programming cable if you want to borrow it. I think Kenwood wants about $30 for it.

If you have any questions about setting up the radio or using APRS, let me know.

thanks I defiantly will have lots of questions

Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:52 pm
Profile WWW

ok will start this off with an easy question, what do I need to take to the insurance place to order the HAM Plates and how much are they?

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:17 am
Profile WWW

you need to take your insurance papers and ham liscence the first time. when your plates come you take your plates as well and it will cost you $18.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:27 am
Profile YIM WWW
Everything you need to know:
http://www.icbc.com/registration-licensing/specialty-plates/ham-radio

Another member with radios and apparently our record keeping is something to be desired.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:58 pm
I was once on a run where all the others had were FRS/GPRS. I hated that. I couldn't hear what they were saying because my portable Motorola is nothing like a mobile HAM radio ... even a portable amateur radio is so much better. I wouldn't recommend FRS/GPRS for an off road vehicle unless it was as a last resort.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:11 pm

I second Chris's comments. The Herd of Turtles in increasingly using ham radio as our primary communication on the trail. I think more than half of us are qualified and certainly the majority on most trail runs are. It is a big step up from CB, which we use now as a backup.

I have been wheeling with the Southern BC Xterra Club over the past several months and, unfortunately, they use FRS as their primary method of communications. It is less than satisfactory as the sound quality is poor and the range is also poor.

Once you go ham, it is very difficult to go back!

The Xterra is gone, and Red Rock is ready.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:35 am
yabut... ya'll gotta remember yur chatting on the HAM... not the CB or FRS...

i took some 'heat' here because of 'wheelers' not using proper protocal with the HAMs a while ago...

just because ya turn the power down and use an uncommon frequency, doesnt mean there's no one listening... plus when yur on top of a mountain... how far do you think 5W can go??? ya.. ok... nugh zed :boxing:

HAMs are great, CBs ok, FRS were made to loose ;)

:footy:

Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:57 pm

Yeah I was wondering about proper protocal on the halloween trip.. Half were on CB, the other half were on VHF, and both were chatting away.. It made it real difficult to listen and resond to anyone, as I kept trying to figure out which radio they were on.

I would have thought it would be better if we use VHF for the long distance communication, from either front of the pack to the back, but when all close toether, just use CB.

I love my VHF, but now that only half the people have it, and now everyone has CB, why not use CB as much as possible when on runs??

Ryan

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:10 pm
OMG...

Ryan has a GREAT SUGGESTION!!!

even worse... i agree with him :eek:

did hell just freeze over?

:footy:

:Urock:

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:48 pm

zedjay95 wrote:
you need to take your insurance papers and ham liscence the first time. when your plates come you take your plates as well and it will cost you $18.

Yabedude wrote:
Everything you need to know:
http://www.icbc.com/registration-licensing/specialty-plates/ham-radio

Another member with radios and apparently our record keeping is something to be desired.

Thanks, will do!

Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:10 pm
Profile WWW

OK i finally have a little time to put this in, so here is another question if i mount the antenna bracket on my spare tire carrier will that work? also if i do that does it matter how high up i mount it? Should i be putting it so the antenna goes over the roof line? So many questions already just wait until its in cause i haven't the slightest clue how to use this thing :confused:

Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:08 am
Profile WWW
i would NOT recommend it like that... it might work but not as good as a hood mount.
you need a 'ground plane' this is how HAM antennas are designed to work.. the vehicle ones anyway, generally.

take your antenna to a radio shop and get them to tell you where to put it and/or how to mount it :)

thats what i did... for my HAM first then my CB... they both work great!

:lurk:

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:50 am

Phil's solution is the ideal solution.

But due to the conditions we drive in, hood mounted antennas are quite vunerable to branches braking them or whipping them back and smashing the windshield.

If mounted on the back, try to mount as high up as possible. also ensure you have a good ground. But also ensure the base is not vunerable to a branch sliding over your roof and snapping off the antenna.

2005 TJ Unlimited... it no longer hums at 90+kmh

I live in Ladner. I own an armoured vehicle. Draw your own conclusions.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next