View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Looking for a HAM Radio - info 

Post Looking for a HAM Radio - info
Alright have had my license now for a while and Christmas is coming so i want to get a radio. I know absolutely nothing about these so im looking for something that is easy to use. When it comes down to it i don't really need to to hook up to gps or anything just want to be able to talk to everyone but I still wont rule it out. Whats everyone else using? How do you find it? Any recommendations would help.

Note- really don't want to go over $500 including antenna :rolleyes:

Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:55 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Ham ???
IC-2200H is a good single band VHF with 65 watts output.Wes, Val K, and myself are running this unit.Burnaby Radio will also sell you one that is opened, transmits on commercial frequency on the caveat that you will get a commercial liscence,50 bucks from Industry Canada or don't get caught.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:10 pm
Profile WWW

I run the 2200 as well and like it. Works very well and have had no issues. Best price is online from HamRadio.com out of the US. $165 plus exchange and duty and your still less than most anyone in Canada. Add an Antenna for about $100 and your good to go. I prefer a Larsen Antenna. I wouldn't cheap out on the antenna, cause your radio is only as good as your antenna.

HTH
Ryan

Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:42 pm

I agree that the 2200 is a great single-band VHF radio. It's a great place to start. Yaesu makes the FT 2900R which is the new king of the hill for single band radios. It boasts 75 watts at max power, which is 10 more than the 2200. HRO has is on for $150 right now.

If you are looking for more features, consider the TM-D710 from Kenwood. It has dual band, dual VFO plus APRS (the GPS thing). There are 4 of us in the club running this radio now and I have certainly been happy with mine.

Just remember, it doesn't matter if you have the best radio money can buy if you don't have a decent antenna system. Make sure you have a decent ground plane and a secure mount location.

The Xterra is gone, and Red Rock is ready.

Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:28 am
But the TM-D710 is $615 without antenna. He wants to keep under $500.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:22 pm
IC-2200 is a great starter radio...
that is what i have and now i am ready for the TM-D710a :dance:
getting back to the IC-2200H... a lot of people have this radio :cool2:

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:11 pm
Brian,

I have a 2100H Icom which has been around for a while abused but still works well, the mic broke but only needed a dab of solder to fix..

I installed Lisa's FT-2900R Yaesu, better Tx for sure at 75w, big thing I'd say it's 10x easier to use than the Icom, same or better build quality also

I'd focus on an antenna and mount - this is what is installed on Lisa's JK if you want to see it...works pretty good and very clean..

Mount- NCG (Comet) RS-730 MT NMO
Cable Kit- NCG CK-3M5
Anenna- Larsen NMOWB150B

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:15 pm

ok this may sound dumb but what is the difference between single band and dual band? If I have single band does that mean i cant use repeaters?

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:22 pm
Profile WWW

brian_mit wrote:
ok this may sound dumb but what is the difference between single band and dual band? If I have single band does that mean i cant use repeaters?

Single band is just one band, ie VHF, UHF, or HF. Mostly when we are talking single band, we are talking VHF. When we are talking dual band we are talking VHF and UHF able radio.

Band has nothing to do with repeaters expect for what freq the repeater operates on. Most I think are VHF, but there are a fair number of UHF out there.

2005 TJ Unlimited... it no longer hums at 90+kmh

I live in Ladner. I own an armoured vehicle. Draw your own conclusions.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:25 pm

Wes wrote:
Single band is just one band, ie VHF, UHF, or HF. Mostly when we are talking single band, we are talking VHF. When we are talking dual band we are talking VHF and UHF able radio.

Band has nothing to do with repeaters expect for what freq the repeater operates on. Most I think are VHF, but there are a fair number of UHF out there.

So would I be better off to spend a bit more and get a dual band. I have ruled out the APRS one just to expensive but I think there is some dual bands that are not much more.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:31 pm
Profile WWW

If the dual band is also dual VFO then yes. This way you can monitor two on the same band, ie VHF/VHF or VHF/UHF, or UHF/UHF

2005 TJ Unlimited... it no longer hums at 90+kmh

I live in Ladner. I own an armoured vehicle. Draw your own conclusions.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:47 pm
It all totally depends on what you are going to use it for,, wheeling world a single band will do all, including HOT events..

If you are going to buy an HT also and use the truck to dual cross-band then yes as Wes said get the dual VFO.. if not buy a better ant..and much watts...

Otherwise the possibilities are endless, I think you could talk to China with a 20 foot ant off the bumper mount...

Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:15 pm
rick takasaki wrote:
IC-2200H is a good single band VHF with 65 watts output.Wes, Val K, and myself are running this unit.Burnaby Radio will also sell you one that is opened, transmits on commercial frequency on the caveat that you will get a commercial liscence,50 bucks from Industry Canada or don't get caught.

Do you happen to know the apx cost after modification.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:26 pm
2200H Extend Mod

Pat wrote:
Do you happen to know the apx cost after modification.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:38 pm

brbo wrote:
Brian,

I have a 2100H Icom which has been around for a while abused but still works well, the mic broke but only needed a dab of solder to fix..

I installed Lisa's FT-2900R Yaesu, better Tx for sure at 75w, big thing I'd say it's 10x easier to use than the Icom, same or better build quality also

I'd focus on an antenna and mount - this is what is installed on Lisa's JK if you want to see it...works pretty good and very clean..

Mount- NCG (Comet) RS-730 MT NMO
Cable Kit- NCG CK-3M5
Anenna- Larsen NMOWB150B

The 2100H is no longer available new.. It was replaced by the 2200.
As for icom vs. yaesu... its personal preference. They both pretty much have the same features give or take.. Close to the same power.. Its just what you like better. For me, the Icom was cheaper when i bought and more people I knew were running them, but now the yaesu is cheaper and becoming more popular especially in the HT.. I also liked the icom mic over the yaesu.. Best bet, hop into someones truck that has one and try them both for yourself..

As for Antenna.. I think I went with the Larsen NMO150BK which is a 5/8wave antenna which gives more dBi for more power and longer range. I didnt bother with the wide band (which is what Brian listed above which is a 1/2wave so a little less dBi) as the majority of my communications will be in the 144-174 range.. Anything below that is mostly government (ie. police, city, etc.) which I only need to listen to anyway. I chose more power over frequency range.

brbo wrote:
It all totally depends on what you are going to use it for,, wheeling world a single band will do all, including HOT events..

If you are going to buy an HT also and use the truck to dual cross-band then yes as Wes said get the dual VFO.. if not buy a better ant..and much watts...

I picked up a dual band HT for the ability later on to cross band repeat from my jeep which will be getting a dual band. As of this moment, I dont think anyone has needed this feature so far, but I can see it being useful during a large event when you need to get out of your truck and hike with a HT, but still need the power of your mobile to communicate with everyone. So you talk to your truck on UHF, which than repeats it on VHF to everyone else. But other than that, everyone has been doing jsut fine on single band VHF.

HTH
Ryan

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:36 am
Ryan I never referenced the 2100H being available I was giving kudos to Icom as mine has lasted well,, not sure what you are saying in the balance of the response ?? isn't that what was said..

In regards to antenna choice,, to justify your quality and distance comment qualifying that would only apply in a perfect flat world with zero interference,, however in the bush up and down mountains WB will destroy a focus signal anyday - I have both antenna and the WB kicks butt off road... Ryan what do you run off road, not sure what's in your ride ??

Regger wrote:
The 2100H is no longer available new.. It was replaced by the 2200.
As for icom vs. yaesu... its personal preference. They both pretty much have the same features give or take.. Close to the same power.. Its just what you like better. For me, the Icom was cheaper when i bought and more people I knew were running them, but now the yaesu is cheaper and becoming more popular especially in the HT.. I also liked the icom mic over the yaesu.. Best bet, hop into someones truck that has one and try them both for yourself..

As for Antenna.. I think I went with the Larsen NMO150BK which is a 5/8wave antenna which gives more dBi for more power and longer range. I didnt bother with the wide band (which is what Brian listed above which is a 1/2wave so a little less dBi) as the majority of my communications will be in the 144-174 range.. Anything below that is mostly government (ie. police, city, etc.) which I only need to listen to anyway. I chose more power over frequency range.

I picked up a dual band HT for the ability later on to cross band repeat from my jeep which will be getting a dual band. As of this moment, I dont think anyone has needed this feature so far, but I can see it being useful during a large event when you need to get out of your truck and hike with a HT, but still need the power of your mobile to communicate with everyone. So you talk to your truck on UHF, which than repeats it on VHF to everyone else. But other than that, everyone has been doing jsut fine on single band VHF.

HTH
Ryan

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:24 am

well i think i will stick with the single band and just get a good antenna

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:30 am
Profile WWW

brbo wrote:
Ryan I never referenced the 2100H being available I was giving kudos to Icom as mine has lasted well,, not sure what you are saying in the balance of the response ?? isn't that what was said..

In regards to antenna choice,, to justify your quality and distance comment qualifying that would only apply in a perfect flat world with zero interference,, however in the bush up and down mountains WB will destroy a focus signal anyday - I have both antenna and the WB kicks butt off road... Ryan what do you run off road, not sure what's in your ride ??

Ryan off-road hahahahahahaha that's funny

(Just as funny as me right now)

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:51 am
Profile YIM WWW

brbo wrote:
Ryan I never referenced the 2100H being available I was giving kudos to Icom as mine has lasted well,,

Sorry, it sounded like you were saying it was still available..

brbo wrote:
In regards to antenna choice,, to justify your quality and distance comment qualifying that would only apply in a perfect flat world with zero interference,, however in the bush up and down mountains WB will destroy a focus signal anyday - I have both antenna and the WB kicks butt off road...

Oh.. well, looks like I learned something new..

brbo wrote:
Ryan what do you run off road, not sure what's in your ride ??

5/8 in the dodge, and the HT in the Jimmy...

zedjay95 wrote:
Ryan off-road hahahahahahaha that's funny

(Just as funny as me right now)

Yeah, I seem to remember both of you riding shotgun on the halloween trip... so it looks like I win in this argument..LOL

Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:01 pm
Hey I never said anything about you...

Regger wrote:
Yeah, I seem to remember both of you riding shotgun on the halloween trip... so it looks like I win in this argument..LOL

Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next