View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
West harrison: HALE, sunrise, 20 mile bay..etc. Sat Nov 10. 

Post West harrison: HALE, sunrise, 20 mile bay..etc. Sat Nov 10.
Time for a nice fall run up the West Harrison fsr. Hitting all the old favorites. Like sunrise... Hale... 20 mile bay... Maybe even mystery creek road to the
statlu loop. Full day so bring a lunch and be flexible. If the weather is nice we will organize a weiner roast. Stay tuned.

Most stock trucks can make it with a lift and good winter type tires. Make sure you have tow points front and rear.

Meet at Sasquatch gravel parking lot at 9:30 am.
Let us know if you are coming.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:52 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: West harrison: HALE, sunrise, 20 mile bay..etc. Sat Nov
Me and Urs. Are in.
Will bring a chainsaw. (After all these winds)

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:06 pm

See you then

2005 TJ Unlimited... it no longer hums at 90+kmh

I live in Ladner. I own an armoured vehicle. Draw your own conclusions.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:19 am

Looks like im in

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:03 am
Profile WWW

We're game.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:13 pm

I'm in.

"I don't care about time or money but I'm overworked and underpaid." John Mellencamp, 2014

"Isn't it amazing what you can accomplish, When you don't let the nation get in your way" Gord Downie, 1998. RIP.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:47 pm
Profile WWW

There will be no hotdogs so bring your own lunch.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:40 pm
Profile WWW

I had to fight the traction control part way home, even on pavement in 2WD, until it errored out. Now the light is on, in my dash full time, I'm hoping it will go away after I re-center the steering wheel. I guess 1/4 of a turn is too much, the computer was all confused, putting on the brakes on one side. To top it off, I also have a damaged valve stem, a slow leak, was able to make it home after airing up.

"I don't care about time or money but I'm overworked and underpaid." John Mellencamp, 2014

"Isn't it amazing what you can accomplish, When you don't let the nation get in your way" Gord Downie, 1998. RIP.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:19 pm
Profile WWW

caesarspalace wrote:
I had to fight the traction control part way home, even on pavement in 2WD, until it errored out. Now the light is on, in my dash full time, I'm hoping it will go away after I re-center the steering wheel. I guess 1/4 of a turn is too much, the computer was all confused, putting on the brakes on one side. To top it off, I also have a damaged valve stem, a slow leak, was able to make it home after airing up.

What bent to make your steering wheel out a 1/4 turn is the question???

Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:22 pm

Gotatruck wrote:
What bent to make your steering wheel out a 1/4 turn is the question???

Yes, that is the million dollar question.
I nailed a stump with the front passenger tire, coming outa fossil, that I know, but I've nailed things harder than that before without the steering wheel moving that much. Even at the tail end of the Moab trip, it was off center slightly, but not nearly this much. I've gotta figure out what is moving / bending under there.

After a hard days wheeling, my Jeep often the steering wheel is slightly off center, one way or the other, it did this since it was new, before it was built up. The factory track bar brackets are known to be thin / weak. It doesn't take much pounding for them to be slightly tweaked, the diff housing moving from side to side, and therefore the steering wheel becoming off center. A slight quarter turn on the drag link would simply re-center it. But what I don't understand is how it would be moving now that I have both track bar brackets beefed up. As well as an aftermarket track bar, drag link, and sector shaft brace. The only component not beefed up yet is the tie rod.

So today, I re-centered the steering wheel by turning the drag link (I had to go like one whole revolution or more), it drives fine, it pulls very slightly to the right, but nothin major. I do have a DTC that wont reset - C123F (STEERING ANGLE SENSOR COMPARIVE PERFORMANCE). There are 2 traction control idiot lights on the dash, one that lights up steady when you push the switch to turn the traction control off (or when you shift to low range), and the other blinks when the computer turns on the traction control when you go into a skid, for example. This second idiot light I'm refering to, it is on steady. Prolly related to the DTC. I cant get this to reset. I am thinking that the clock spring must be outa wack. Or, is there a sensor inside the steering box that knows the sector shaft is not in the center? Also, the cruise control wont turn on.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:53 pm
Profile WWW

1) upgrade your tie rod
2) steering angle sensor is in the clock spring assy .

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:49 am

The clock springs on JK's are notoriously bad. Although I suppose that may cause some idiot lights to appear on your dash (for me it was the airbag light) relating to steering, your now and then off center steering wheel has to be something mechanical. Feel free to swing by my house sometime and we can do some investigating to look for evidence of something moving and we can also check backlash in your steering box (you have the cheaper Chinese one in your JK, not the stronger US Signaw). Maybe you might have an oval bolt hole on something you cant see behind a washer?

And for the tie rod, yes they can get bent, that's happened to me a couple times but its obvious if that's the case and easy to bend back with a hydraulic press (I wouldn't recommend doing that more than once however, but that's a total personal opinion thing so lets not argue the safety points... its like refilling your own 1lb propane tanks lol), otherwise the joints are very reliable on these bars (I'm on my second only because I bent the original a second time, a replacement is very cheap from the wrecker) and its not likely to cause your off center steering wheel problem at the end of a run. So I wouldn't waste your money on a new one unless you confirm you have a problem with yours. These tie rods "should" be good for over 100,000km of hard wheeling.

I was up west Harrison last weekend with my side by side. Its been a long time since I've been up that way. I didn't even know there was a forest fire around Hale, the area looked very different. It was so weird to be able to see the road well ahead of me as I was driving down to the beach. Does anyone know if West Harrison is open all the way to Sloquet right now? Last I knew there was a washout or something blocking access to the end of the lake, but that might be old obsolete info?

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]