View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Vedder Mtn. Decommissioned Roads Updates 

Post Vedder Mtn. Decommissioned Roads Updates
From RSTBC Dec 2, 2020 - Luc Anderson FLNRO

As you guys are aware there has been some Road Works ongoing on Vedder Mountain FSR. This work is nearly completed and I believe the contractor will be mobbing out shortly. Ray apologies but the mowing contract was nearing finishing and it wasn’t possible to add on to the contract. If it becomes an issue I wonder if we can get a rubber tire back hoe with a mower attachment at some point. Ray, we will need to look at improving some of the trail / FSR junctions, especially after the ditching improvements.

Additionally, there has been some discussion around some of the old roads on Vedder Mountain. Many of them are currently under Road Permit to a licensee or other permit holder. A number of them are non-status (no permit on them). The western end of what we call Tower Road, where it meets Vedder Mountain FSR, will be deactivated by the licensee who holds the permit for this section of road. It is causing erosion and impacting the FSR. There is history of landslides in the area and the decision was made at the district level to close this portion of the road due to the risk.

The work on this deactivation should be complete in the next 1-2 weeks. There are some additional deactivation works planned but they should not impact current use areas.

I know this is one of routes that the 4x4 group uses and I understand that it is probably a disappointment. There will still be access to the tower from the south east side. The most challenging part, just above the tower, should remain the same, but it will be an in and out.

The two projects, the work on the FSR, and the deactivation of the old road permit roads, are two unrelated projects.

Thanks,
Luc Anderson

Recreation Technician
Chilliwack
Recreation Sites and Trails BC
Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development

Update from Ray Heppner of VMMC, VMTA president, Jan 8, 2021

Hi All,

Just thought I would let you know that the old road going down to Majuba from the intersection that goes to the organic farm at the far end of the mountain has been deactivated as per requirements from FLNRO to the license holder. Also Tower Rd going up from the gate off of the main FSR on the north side has been / will be deactivated for erosion control / environmental reasons. This will make Tower road a dead end from the hiking end. Some of you may have been already aware that this was going to happen.

Ray

Update Jan 10, 2021

Hi All,

I have been informed that the Tower Rd deactivation was not as significant as the one going down to Majuba and that 4x4's should be fine to get through.

Ray

Ron's notes
We haven’t been running Old Majuba in recent years, as we knew it was sloughing off, so no loss there. Hopefully, Ray is correct. It would suck to see Tower an in and out only.

"I don't care about time or money but I'm overworked and underpaid." John Mellencamp, 2014

"Isn't it amazing what you can accomplish, When you don't let the nation get in your way" Gord Downie, 1998. RIP.

Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]