View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Eagle Mountain Key Program 

Post Eagle Mountain Key Program
Kim’s Updates on Eagle Ridge Jan 07 & 13, 2021 (Summarized, amalgamated, and condensed by Ron)

Eagle Mountain Key Program - Current access restrictions.

The Eagle lock is dead and the City of Coquitlam temporarily placed a padlock on it as they didn’t want to manage the program going forward. So, after 11 years of managing the Eagle Mountain Key Program, the City of Coquitlam is passing the torch for maintenance and stewardship of this area to the Four Wheel Drive Association of BC! Under the direction of Recreation Sites and Trails BC, the 4WDABC will be managing the Eagle Mountain trail network for the foreseeable future. It should mean long-term access to Eagle Mountain for wheelers and the chance to show just what we're capable of when it comes to land stewardship. And yes, that means new people will be able to apply for the key!

PHASE ONE ACCESS WILL BE OPENED SOON FOR GRANDFATHERED BLUETOOTH KEYHOLDERS ONLY. If you have held an Eagle Bluetooth key in the past, watch for the announcement!

PHASE TWO EXPANDED ACCESS FOR NEW KEYHOLDERS IS STILL UNDER NEGOTIATION. PLEASE BE PATIENT AS WE HAMMER OUT THE FINAL DETAILS.

These trails are part of a sensitive ecological area whose stakeholders include the Cities of Coquitlam and Port Moody, three fish hatcheries, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Recreation Sites & Trails BC, BC Hydro, BC Parks, TORCA Mountain Bike Club, Eagle Mountain Moto Club, and Metro Vancouver Water Services - suffice to say, a lot of different groups have an interest in the wellbeing of the area.

In exchange for continued access, stakeholders have asked 4x4 user volume be restricted. In order to keep traffic manageable, and minimize impact to the surrounding environment, RSTBC has approved access for 4WDABC members, with a $53/year fee per keyholder. 100% of these funds will go toward the ongoing care of the area, including infrastructure repair and upgrades, runoff mitigation, trail maintenance, equipment operation, and management of the key program itself.

In accordance with these goals, RSTBC has agreed to the following requirements for keyholders:
• Applicants must have a minimum 33” tire size or 12" ground clearance.
• All gate accesses will be logged and tracked via the Bluetooth key.
• Keyholders are required to re-lock the gate after passing through.
• Keyholders may take guests along but will be responsible for their conduct.
• Keyholders are required to limit group sizes to reduce impact.
• Surveillance cameras are in use to monitor traffic levels.

This is a major achievement for the 4WDABC as it goes several steps beyond the typical rec site maintenance agreement and is a prime opportunity for wheelers to show multiple levels of government the positive impact we can have in the backcountry, right here in an urban setting. Taking on the key program itself gives us an avenue to potentially gain access to other currently-gated areas as well.
As soon as our systems and processes are tested and confirmed, we'll put the call out for those who currently have a Bluetooth key to submit their applications. We don't have the contact info from the City of Coquitlam so it will be a general call to apply, asking applicants to provide a screenshot of their current app or their invitation email from the City of Coquitlam. This will essentially be a continuation of the current program while we wait to formalize the agreement with RSTBC.

The process for new keyholders will depend on any further conditions requested by RSTBC.
See link below for full details.

https://www.4wdabc.ca/articles/eagle-mountain-key-program?fbclid=IwAR3g5z2bo_lA__foZeF1sn9iPkUOZVvn5zglMO8Mr81lEJP0emgQ_gCRnFA

"I don't care about time or money but I'm overworked and underpaid." John Mellencamp, 2014

"Isn't it amazing what you can accomplish, When you don't let the nation get in your way" Gord Downie, 1998. RIP.

Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:06 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Eagle Mountain Key Program
https://www.4wdabc.ca/articles/eagle-mountain-key-program?fbclid=IwAR2HFBfmXu0rSQAPqwVBwOoRgKW_jJVbqvyP3nfVB4zr1fp4lGZViBpuyfE

New update from Kim, Jan 21.

Interesting that in order to renew an existing Bluetooth key, one must also be a member of the 4WDABC. Undoubtedly, there are going to be people who are going to be upset with this requirement, but I myself believe it's the right way to go.

"I don't care about time or money but I'm overworked and underpaid." John Mellencamp, 2014

"Isn't it amazing what you can accomplish, When you don't let the nation get in your way" Gord Downie, 1998. RIP.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:01 pm
Profile WWW

The membership is a requirement of the Ministry in charge, not the Association

Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:13 pm
Profile WWW

rick takasaki wrote:

Yup.
Best possible outcome in my book.
Anybody should be able to afford to buck-up thirty bucks to join the association if they aren't already, if they want to keep their key.
There's always going to be a segment of the four wheeling community that won't join the association because they think they're too political or too structured or whatever. And they are the ones that are going to lose out.

Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:16 am
Profile WWW

caesarspalace wrote:
rick takasaki wrote:

Yup.
Best possible outcome in my book.
Anybody should be able to afford to buck-up thirty bucks to join the association if they aren't already, if they want to keep their key.
There's always going to be a segment of the four wheeling community that won't join the association because they think they're too political or too structured or whatever. And they are the ones that are going to lose out.

For sure, thanks Ron for the info.

Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:03 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]